Friday, October 17, 2008

So Many Games, So Little $$$$

Well, it's that time of year again. Hollywood has the summer to release all of it's biggest movies and the video game industry has October to Christmas, to release all of the biggest games. Which of course leaves one in the position of deciding which games to buy. After a lot of soul searching, I think I'm going to have lean towards games with multiplayer potential

Games I'll Get on Release or Close to it:

Far Cry 2 - The map editor should be fun, it looks incredible and I think the single player will be more fun than the first one.

Gears of War 2 - No real explanation needed here. Can't wait to try out the new multi-player modes though.

Call of Duty: World at War - WW2 action with the COD4 engine, should be a fun time.

Left 4 Dead - Loves me some Zombie killing action.

Games I'll Get Soon Enough

Dead Space - looks nice and freaky.

Guitar Hero: World Tour - I have Rock Band 2, I can hold off buying this one for a while.

Fallout 3 - This one looks interesting but I haven't totally made my mind up on it yet.

Now it's time for some quick movie reviews. I didn't see any in September, but I've seen a few this month:

Burn After Reading

I really enjoyed this movie. The critics have complained the story doesn't make a lot of sense but that's the whole point. There were a lot of laughs and everyone gave pretty good performances, especially George Clooney.
Appaloosa

Well it's no Unforgiven or even 3:10 to Yuma, but this was still a pretty entertaining enough movie but that's mainly due to Viggo Mortensen's performance. Ed Harris and Jeremy Irons are decent enough but both have been better and I refuse to believe that this many guys would fall for Renee Zellwegger. Huh This is definitely a middle of the road movie overall though where it has some really good stuff, but some really crappy/goofy stuff too, especially the initial "flirting" scenes between Harris and Zellwegger.

Body of Lies

This was a decent movie but nothing special. DiCaprio and Crowe gave good performances though, well Crowe did the best he could talking into a phone for most of his part of the movie. Best part of the movie was Mark Strong's performance as the head of the Jordanian intelligence agency. I didn't even realize it was him until I checked IMDB. He's one of those guys who just blends into his roles, like Stardust and Revolver and even Sunshine.

The story is a bit muddled and it's definitely the acting and action scenes that save this one. I wouldn't recommend anyone run out to see this unless there's nothing else you want to see.

1 comment:

CivilWar Fangirl said...

I am so excited about GoW2!!! If I had the $$, I'd probably pick up Far Cry 2 and Call of Duty as well. Alas...I need to save for the wedding!

Also, Goderich will not be getting Body of Lies, which I really want to see! They reached a new low two weeks ago when they had Journey to the Centre of the Earth! How bad is that?