Monday, July 27, 2009

Game Review: X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Xbox 360)

I was finally able to rent this last week after my local Blockbuster never seemed to have a copy in. They got like 4 copies when it first came out but they got 20 of Terminator. I'll never understand how that works.

I really enjoyed this game. It's definitely how I picture a Wolverine movie or game should be, full of him slashing the shit out of people. This game definitely earns its M rating. It is violent on the same level as the God of War games, which it is definitely trying to be. Instead of Kratos and the Chains of Olympus, you get Wolverine and his claws.

I found the story to be decent enough. It more or less follows the movie but adds in some changes here and there. The graphics are decent but not the best I've seen. Sometimes when Wolverine is supposed to be covered in blood in the videos, it's all glossy and looks too syrupy. Still the carnage and violence are really well done. Wolverine cuts people in half, he disembowels them, he impales them on conveniently placed objects around the environment or just plain beheads them. Also, when he takes damage the level of damage is very evident on his body. If he takes enough you even see his adamantium skeleton. Of course, he does regenerate. He wouldn't be Wolverine if he didn't right? You just have to make sure he gets time to heal. You can find upgrades and earn XP points of course to get extra health, faster healing times, stronger skills, etc.

My only real complaint with the game is that it is rather short (I finished it in about 5 days) and also it gets a little repetitive fighting the same baddies over and over again. In the end though, it's definitely a great rental and worth checking out.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: