Monday, July 27, 2009

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I caught this yesterday with Karli. I did enjoy it. I think the kids are getting better with each movie in their roles as they grow older. It's funny seeing them in the first movie eight years ago and then you see them now. You almost feel kind of wrong in thinking the girls are turning out to be pretty hot now that they're 18 and all. :P

Anywho, I thought for a movie that ran about 2 hours and 40 minutes they could have put more about the Half-Blood Prince in it. I mean he is in the title afterall but he gets mentioned at the beginning, then a little throughout and then nothing until the big reveal at the end of the movie in a rather anti-climatic way. I'll keep away from spoilers but there is another rather large event in the movie that I think could have been done better and was also cut short. Again, just take the extra time (a la Lord of the Rings) and put the extra stuff in.

This one is definitely darker than the last one and that one was darker than the last and so on. I definitely don't think it's for the little kiddies anymore. It's not quite pushing PG-13 but I think the two movies they're doing for book 7 could hit that rating given the violence in it.

Overall, I did like HP6, but it's definitely not one of my top summer movies. I think right now that is still The Hangover and Transformers 2. We'll see though since Karli and I are going to check out Funny People and Public Enemies this weekend at the drive-in.

Public Enemies is one I've been dying to check out seeing as it is directed by Michael Mann (Last of the Mohicans rocks the shit and does Heat of course and most of his movies) and it stars Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. Funny People though is definitely on the top of my anticipated movies though since it's directed by Judd Apatow and has an awesome cast. I'll post my reviews as soon as I see them.

No comments: