Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My First Album Review: Slipknot's All Hope is Gone.

Anyone who is familiar with my blog here (and my old one over on MSN Spaces) knows that I generally always post a review of the latest movie I have seen in the theatres, and that's usually about one a week. Today I thought I would try to do the same thing but with a new music album. Before I get into what I think of the album, I should give a caveat that I am a rather tone deaf person. In fact, I have practically no musical skills whatsoever outside of Rock Band and Guitar Hero (is that nerdy or what?).

Anyways, the album I want to briefly comment on is one that I can't stop listening to and that is Slipknot's latest offering All Hope is Gone. In this day and age it is extremely rare for me to like every song on an album. All Hope is Gone is not one of those albums. It is pure dynamite from start to finish, although I could do without the first track which is lead singer Corey Taylor talking of some distortion noises. I have never been a fan of this type of "intro" tracks.

The rest of the album is pure Slipknot although track 11, "Snuff", is a bit of a departure I think for them as it is a slower, more acoustic song that you would expect to hear from Stone Sour (Taylor and guitarist Jim Root's other band).

My favourite song is definitely "Pyschosocial", the current single being played on the radio. It is one of those songs that is full of heavy guitar riffs and powerful vocals that just gets your adrenaline rushing.

I definitely think that most Slipknot fans will love this album as well but some hardcore metal heads will be turned off by the aforementioned track Snuff. I definitely give it a solid 4/5, and just in case you needed any convincing that you need to get this album, I present to you the video for "Psychosocial":

2 comments:

Svuio said...

Nice start, keep going!

CivilWar Fangirl said...

I think you should now review Coldplay's new album ;)